Palestine team withdraws from Malaysia soccer tournament

Sports Oct, 11 2023
Palestine team withdraws from Malaysia soccer tournament
  • 317
  • 0

Palestine: The Palestine soccer team has withdrawn from a tournament in Malaysia after a fresh crisis broke out between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas over the weekend, disrupting the team's travel arrangements, the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) said yesterday.

"The withdrawal came due to players being unable to travel because of the events and circumstances that the Palestinian territories are going through," Firas Abu Hilal, secretary-general of the Palestinian Football Association, told Reuters.

The Palestine national football team had been scheduled to compete in the Merdeka Cup - an international friendly tournament in Malaysia - from Oct. 13-17 along with India, Tajikistan and host country, Malaysia.

Hilal said the players' plans had been disrupted by the repeated closure of a crossing connecting Jordan to the Palestinian territories, through which they would have travelled to Malaysia.

The Palestine team are due to play 2026 World Cup qualifying matches against Lebanon and Australia in November. They have also qualified for next year's edition of the Asian Cup in Qatar, which will run from Jan. 12 to Feb. 10.

Published in The Daily National Courier, October, 12 2023

Like Business on Facebook, follow @DailyNCourier on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

NC Big Stories

Bilawal stresses need to overcome national divisions for consensus

LAHORE: Pakistan People's Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari has said that deep-rooted divisions in the country remain the biggest obstacle to achieving consensus. During a meeting with party officials, senior PPP leaders  Sajjad-ul-Has...

CM Murad, Italian CG discuss investment, trade relations

KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister (CM) Murad Ali Shah and the newly appointed Consul General of Italy Fabrizio agreed to further coordinate their efforts to facilitate investment in Sindh. In a meeting held here at CM House yesterday, the CM Sindh and It...

MQM-P leader writes to CJP over alarming rise in traffic fatalities

KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement Pakistan (MQM-P) leader and Deputy Parliamentary Leader in the Sindh Assembly, Taha Ahmed Khan, has written a letter to the Chief Justice of Pakistan, urging him to take suo motu notice of the rising number of deadly...

ECP disqualifies 24 ex-lawmakers

ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has disqualified 24 former members of the National and Provincial Assemblies for failing to submit their asset and liability declarations for the fiscal year 2022-2023, yesterday. According to an o...

More like this
Related

Pakistan face humiliating 4-1 T20I series defeat against New Zealand

WELLINGTON: New Zealand secured a dominant eight-wicket win in the final T20I of the five-match series against Pakistan at Sky Stadium on Wednesday, delivering a commanding performance. The home side comfortably chased down a modest score of 128 give...

Captain Salman Ali Agha reacts to T20I series defeat against NZ

WELLINGTON: Pakistan captain Salman Ali Agha admitted his team was comprehensively outplayed as New Zealand wrapped up a dominant 4-1 T20I series victory with an eight-wicket win in the final match at Sky Stadium yesterday. “They were outstandi...

WCA calls for stricter measures to prevent collapse of traditional formats

KARACHI: World Cricketers Association has called for protected international windows, fairer revenue distribution, and stronger player safeguards to prevent the collapse of its traditional formats. The WCA's "Protecting History, Embracing Change" rep...

Bangladesh cricketer Tamim thanks fans after heart attack

Dhaka: Former Bangladesh captain Tamim Iqbal has thanked fans for their support as he recovers from a serious heart attack he suffered during a match earlier this week. The 36-year-old was leading Mohammedan Sporting Club in a match of the 50-over Dh...
Need Help? Chat with us